Thursday, February 14, 2013

Our Bear Hit By a Car

It's been quite the week while Scott's in New York.  Usually our dog, Bear, excitedly greets us when we get home. I came home Tuesday from work and our Bear was laying in his dog house, unable to move.  I got a bad feeling he was hit by a car, which the vet later confirmed. The next morning I somehow got Bear into the car and took him to our vet, Dr. Slaughter.  An x-ray showed his left hip was dislocated....pelvis was okay.  While under anesthesia, they readjusted his hip and found a huge cut ...about 12" long on his side. They stitched that up and put several drains in.  He finally got to come home tonight with orders of bed rest. Bear is such a good dog, never complaining the whole time, just looking at you with those big brown eyes. Don't worry guys, he's being well taken care of and thank  the Lord he's going to be okay!     

Before Scott left, he gave me instructions on how to feed and care for all the animals. I never realized how difficult this would be!  Last night I got home and listened to our messages. Our neighbor had called...our cows were out on his front lawn and he sounded none too pleased.  What in the world could I do as it was dark and late ... I called my neighbor Steve.  Thank you Steve for fixing our fence! Then this afternoon I went out to feed the elk and found Samson all tangled up in the rope that opens and closes the barn door.  No way I could even get near him to get it all untangled; he's so strong and could crush me in a second.  The rope was still hooked to the top pulley, so I got a tobacco stick, reaching for the rope and quickly tied it to the stall.  Then I got a knife and cut the rope as close to Samson as I dared.  I called Scott and he said whatever I did, don't go in the stall.  Well, my next problem  was the barn door. Samson had broken part of the barn door, jamming it shut.  I had no choice but to go in the stall. After putting extra feed in Samson's bucket to keep him busy, I quickly went in the stall to push the door open. I was nervous as could be and thankful it all worked out! I got so tickled looking at Samson with the rope and ring dangling from him..He didn't look so majestic anymore!  I never thought caring for all our animals could be so much work.   


The girls at the vet took this picture of Bear just out of anesthesia.


Here I am visiting Bear at the vet this morning.  Happy Valentines Day!


Bear's stitches


Samson's new majestic look!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...